Saturday, June 16, 2018

MY DREAM OF VISITING MAINISHI BROADCASTING SYSTEM FINALLY CAME TRUE


Hope you all are well. I am calling to say hello to you all from Osaka. We arrived in Japan eleven days ago and flew to Okinawa for a week, where we had a lovely time by the sea. Churaumi aquarium was too beautiful for words.
Today my dream of visiting Mainichi Broadcasting System finally came true. As you may remember, I have a QSL and verification letter from this station from the early nineties and was very happy at the time I received it in Raniganj. After arriving back in Osaka from Okinawa I thought of listening to MBS JOOR on 1179 kHz from my hotel room and there it was, loud and clear. I then thought of making a recording and visiting the station. When I called the station this morning, I managed to get through to someone who spoke English. But being a non-technical person, he advised me that the studio was off limits to visitors and that I could only go to the station's shop to buy souvenirs. We decided to make a visit anyway and it turned out to be very fruitful. I was thrilled when I finally found the MBS building


in Chayamachi, which is a nice area of Osaka. While my XYL and myself were looking around the shop, a gentleman came over and introduced himself in very good English. It turned out he was Mr Okamoto, ex-head of audience relations, now working in a different department of MBS. When I told him why I was visiting MBS, he became very excited. I then played my recording of MBS to him, done on my Tivdio portable and he confirmed it was their station. To our utter delight, he soon came back with not one, but two QSL cards for us.

Their transmitter is not located in Chayamachi but is actually near Osaka Kansai Airport. Here are some quick picture from today. 
Hope you will like them. Both the gentlemen in the picture work for MBS radio. (MBS TV studio is also in the same building). Their mascot is called Lion-chan.

Best Wishes
Joydip





No comments:

Post a Comment